NEW DELHI: Congress leader and Wayanad MP has reiterated that the central government was trying to hack the mobile phones and email accounts of opposition leaders. Speaking at a press conference in Delhi, Rahul Gandhi said that some of his staff, Congress leader KC Venugopal and Samajwadi party leader Akhilesh Yadav have also received warnings from Apple. He also alleged that the Centre was doing this for the Adani Group.
"Earlier, I used to think number 1 is PM Modi, number 2 is Adani and number 3 is Amit Shah, but this is wrong, number 1 is Adani, number 2 is PM Modi and number 3 is Amit Shah. We have understood the politics of India and now Adani ji cannot escape. Distraction politics is going on. Very few people are fighting against this but we are not scared. You can do as much (phone) tapping as you want, I don't care. If you want to take my phone, I will give it to you," Rahul said.
"The probe into Pegasus spyware complaint did not reach anywhere. The Centre is making these moves to scare the opposition. Only criminals do this. We are fighting for the idea of India. Election is only one step in that. What is important is to fight irrespective of the result," Rahul Gandhi added.
Earlier on Tuesday, Congress leader Shashi Tharoor, Trinamool Congress MP Mahua Moitra, Congress Working Committee member Pawan Khera and Shiv Sena (Uddhav faction) Rajya Sabha MP Priyanka Chaturvedi had alleged that the Centre was trying to hack their phones and e-mail accounts. The leaders also shared screenshots of the warnings they received on their Apple devices. It has been alleged that the phones of three officials of Rahul Gandhi's office were also hacked in this way. Many people received a warning message last night.