
NEW DELHI: India officially confirmed that its Army conducted a covert operation in Myanmar in July 2025. This was revealed at the Shaurya Chakra award ceremony on Republic Day.
According to details received, the operation took place between July 11 and 13 along the Indo-Myanmar border. While awarding the Shaurya Chakra to Lieutenant Colonel Ghatage Aditya Shrikumar of 21 Para (Special Forces), who led the operation, the Indian Army announced that it had crossed the Myanmar border and destroyed nine terrorist camps. The statement also said that senior terrorists were among those killed in the military operation.
The United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA) has claimed that three of its senior leaders were killed and several others injured in missile and drone strikes in Myanmar's Sagaing region in July last year. The militant group has carried out several attacks against India. The ULFA had accused the Indian army of destroying its camps.
Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had denied any role of the state police force in the operation. However, the army has not released any further details about the operation, although they said that the camps of anti-India organisations were targeted.