SignIn
Kerala Kaumudi Online
Sunday, 14 July 2024 9.06 AM IST

Kallakurichi hooch tragedy: 50 people dead, main accused taken into custody

kallakurichi-hooch-traged

CHENNAI: The death toll in the Kallakurichi hooch tragedy in Tamil Nadu has risen to 50. 8 persons died today morning. Nearly 100 people are undergoing treatment in various hospitals. It is said that most of them are in critical condition. The death is likely to rise. 10 people are also reported to have lost their sight.

Meanwhile, Chinnadurai, the main accused in the hooch tragedy has been taken into custody, It was the CB CID team from Cuddalore that took Chinnadurai into custody. The investigation team found that he was the one who made the illicit liquor. Earlier, four people, including a couple, were arrested for selling illicit liquor. More than 200 litres of liquor was seized from them. Tests revealed that methanol had been mixed with it. Police are investigating the source of the methanol.

It is said that all those who consumed the illicit liquor were labourers. All of them consumed the liquor from Karungulam in Kallakurichi on Tuesday night. Later, they started experiencing issues such as vomiting, dizziness, abdominal pain and eye discomfort. Then they were admitted to different hospitals.

The Tamil Nadu government announced a compensation of Rs 10 lakh for the family of the deceased and Rs 50,000 for those being treated in the hospital. Chief Minister MK Stalin, Leader of the Opposition Edappadi Palaniswami and Vetri Kazhakam President and actor Vijay visited Kallakurichi and met the victims of the hooch tragedy. Stalin directed the Home Secretary and DGP to submit a report on the incident within two days.

The AIADMK has filed a petition in the Madras High Court demanding that the investigation into the illicit liquor case be left to the CBI. An urgent hearing will be held on the petition today. The BJP has announced widespread protest on June 22. Meanwhile, the CPM has sent a letter to the Speaker asking for a special discussion in the Assembly.

Following the incident, the Tamil Nadu government announced the transfer of District Collector Sravan Kumar Jatavath and suspended Superintendent of Police Samay Singh Meena. MS Prasanth and Rajat Chaturvedi were named as their replacements.

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
TAGS: KALLAKURICHI HOOCH TRAGEDY, KALLAKURICHI, TAMIL NADU, NATIONAL NEWS
KERALA KAUMUDI EPAPER
TRENDING IN INDIA
TRENDING IN INDIA
X
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
We respect your privacy. Your information is safe and will never be shared.