SignIn
Kerala Kaumudi Online
Thursday, 19 February 2026 9.20 AM IST

Pressure from political situation: Government with cautious moves on Sabarimala women's entry

Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size Print Page
sabarimala-

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The state government plans to proceed with extreme caution in the review petition against the Sabarimala women's entry verdict. With the assembly elections just around the corner, the government's stance is likely to change due to the pressure of the political situation. The move will be made by putting the Devaswom Board in front.

The three-judge bench of the Supreme Court is likely to announce today the formation of a nine-member larger bench to consider the petition and the date for the commencement of the sitting. The nine-member bench will take further action.

NSS General Secretary G Sukumaran Nair had said yesterday that he expects the government to change its stance on allowing women's entry. The NSS, which had approached the Supreme Court opposing the entry of women and organised Namajapa rallies, had been brought close to the government through the Global Ayyappa Sangamam. If the government does not change its stance, the NSS will turn its back.

The first Pinarayi government obtained the women's entry verdict by reversing the Oommen Chandy government's stance that women should not enter. There is also a concern that the Pinarayi government itself approaching the court again with the argument that women should not enter will invite criticism. Even the court may criticise by pointing out that fact.

The government cannot pretend not to see the political situation. Three important leaders of the CPM have been arrested in connection with the Sabarimala gold scam. The former governing body is also under suspicion. The government is also facing questions over controversies related to the management of the Global Ayyappa Sangamam. The government and the party are strongly convinced that no further action should be taken that would displease the devotees.

Hope that a stance will not be needed before the elections

1. When the petition is considered today, advocate Jayadeep Gupta, who argued for allowing women's entry, will appear for the government.

2. An extension can be asked for when the hearing date is announced in the first sitting of the nine-member bench. The government can seek time in its stance. It is hoped that the elections will be over by then.

3. If the bench goes into arguments, the government can make the Devaswom Board say that the sentiments of the believers should be protected.

👉The government's stand on the issue of women's entry cannot be taken in a moment. The stand will be announced after the review bench comes.

-P. Rajeev,

Law Minister

👉I cannot say what the government says in court. Our stand is the same as what the court says.

M.V. Govindan,

CPM State Secretary

👉If the government takes a new decision in the changed political situation, we will welcome it.

-V.D. Satheesan,

Leader of Opposition

👉The government cannot move forward without correcting its stand.

K.C. Venugopal,

AICC General Secretary

TAGS: SABARIMALA
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
KERALA KAUMUDI EPAPER
TRENDING IN KERALA
TRENDING IN KERALA
X
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
We respect your privacy. Your information is safe and will never be shared.