Kerala Kaumudi Online
Saturday, 20 April 2024 8.51 AM IST

Police to register case in Pulpally clashes, will check CCTV footage to find accused


PULPALLY: The police will register a case in the clashes that took place during today's hartal in protest of the incident in which two people were killed in wild elephant attacks in Wayanad. The case will be registered by imposing non-bailable sections in the violent incidents that took place in Pulpally. The protesters will be booked for attacking the vehicle of the Forest Department, attacking officers, blocking the dead body, and pelting stones at police officials. The police will take action, including arrest, after clearly identifying the accused. The police will examine the scenes of the clashes to find those who led the clashes.

Clashes broke out after the protesters shouted at the MLAs in Pulpally and attacked a Forest Department official and vehicle. They also protested by throwing stones, bottles and chairs. Although the police resorted to lathi-charge thrice, the crowd did not disperse.

The locals demonstrated a protest by carrying the dead body of Forest Department temporary watcher VP Paul for four and a half hours. After conducting a postmortem at Kozhikode Medical College, the body was brought to Pulpally by 9.40 am today. As the ambulance reached the Pulpally bus stand, locals stopped it and started protesting. They raised demands such as Rs 50 lakh compensation to Paul's family, a job for his dependent, children's education, and waiver of loan. The protesters then surrounded the jeep of the Forest Department and manhandled Deputy Range Officer Shaji. Shaji was kicked on his chest. The protesters deflated the jeep's tyres and tore the roof. They also placed a wreath on the jeep.

In the meantime, a group carrying the body of a cow killed by a tiger reached the spot. They then placed the cow's body on the bonnet of the forest department jeep. Although the MLAs urged that there was bleeding in Paul's body and that the funeral must be conducted soon, the protesters did not back down. Some people were injured in the police lathi charge. Some policemen also sustained injuries. By 1.30, Paul's body was taken to his home in Pakkam. The crowd finally dispersed by around 2.30 pm. When Paul's dead body was brought to his home, his relatives were not ready to accept the body. They demanded the order regarding the understanding reached on the compensation for the family. By 3.20 pm, Wayanad ADM K Devaki the house with the order. Following this, the funeral was held at Pulpally St George Church.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
We respect your privacy. Your information is safe and will never be shared.