SignIn
Kerala Kaumudi Online
Saturday, 03 June 2023 2.04 PM IST

Low-cost typhoid vaccines will reach Karunya Pharmacy soon: Minister Veena George

typhoid-vaccines

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Health Minister Veena George confirmed that the much-awaited typhoid vaccines will be available through the government-run Karunya pharmacies. The minister informed about passing instructions to KMSCL to move with the process. The typhoid vaccination was made mandatory in 2011 for obtaining a health card. However, the KMSCL never had the vaccines on their shelves all these times. News emerged days back about the local chemists tricking poor hotel staff into buying costly typhoid vaccinations. Many others who work for mere pay couldn't afford the vaccines which increased the chances of them losing their health card. To alleviate such a crisis, the government is making fast measures to make available the vaccines in Karunya stores in the city.

The government made it mandatory for hotel staff to acquire health cards after cases flooded in Kerala regarding unpalatable food served in hotels. Adding more concern, five people died after food poisoning in the state. To curb the rising accusations and complaints, the government initiated moves to make the health card mandatory for hotel staff to practice proper hygiene. The last date for obtaining a health card is February 28th. This is for the second time that the dates are extended. The previous deadline for health card was on February 14th. It is calculated that 60% of hotel staff in the state have acquired the card. The extension is a chance for the unavailed 40% to maximize their attempts to collect the mandatory card.

JOIN THE DISCUSSION
TAGS: HOTEL, HEALTHCARD, TYPHOID, VACCINE
KERALA KAUMUDI EPAPER
TRENDING IN KERALA
TRENDING IN KERALA
X
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
We respect your privacy. Your information is safe and will never be shared.