
TEHRAN: Diplomatic efforts to restore peace in West Asia have made significant progress, but negotiators have not yet reached an agreement on the terms of an interim deal. The proposed agreement mainly focuses on reopening the Strait of Hormuz and easing the global energy crisis.
US President Donald Trump initially said that a settlement could happen soon, but later posted that there was “no hurry” regarding the deal. Trump also held phone discussions with several West Asian leaders, including Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, about the proposed agreement. Although similar peace efforts had been made in the past, the negotiations ultimately ended without a breakthrough.
Negotiations have reportedly faced obstacles due to continued Israeli attacks on Hezbollah in Lebanon and Iran’s demand for war compensation, which the United States rejected. Iran has maintained that the Strait of Hormuz would only be reopened if sanctions were lifted, while Trump’s position is that sanctions would be eased only after the strait is reopened. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said in Delhi on Sunday that positive news regarding the peace agreement could emerge soon.
Strait of Hormuz reopening plan and nuclear dispute